During last year’s Orphan Care Weekend, Guest speaker Wayne Tesch, founder of Royal Family KIDS Camp, cast a vision to confront abused, neglected and abandoned kids in the foster care system. These church camps are designed for children ages six to twelve in the foster care system. Each summer, the love of Jesus and God’s word is demonstrated and shared in over 200 camps nationwide, providing a fun packed week of memories that last a lifetime!
In June of 2016, Timberline Church will launch its first two camps with the Fort Collins campus reaching kids in Larimer County and the Windsor campus reaching Weld County.
Here’s brief update on what’s been accomplished so far:
- 11 leaders attended a week-long mandatory directors’ training camp
- A weekly prayer team was established to pray for specific needs
- Volunteer directors and assistant directors have been established for both campuses from the group of trainees
- Key volunteer roles are actively being filled
- Administrative support, accounting and budget process established
- Developed partnerships with officials from Larimer and Weld county DHS
- Camp location has been secured for the two camps in June 2016
- Websites up and running with information, volunteer applications, and a path for financial giving
How can you get involved?
- Visit the websites at http://fortcollins.royalfamilykids.org/ or http://windsor.royalfamilykids.org/ to learn more.
- Donate financially. The cost of a camp scholarship is $400 per child to cover meals and lodging (with a projected 30 kids per camp). Other costs per camper include memory bags, activity center craft projects, and special events.
- Pray for the camps and the children who will be attending next summer
- Volunteer either online or in person at the table in the mall during Orphan Care Weekend November 7 and 8th. They are looking for licensed, accredited social workers and teachers specifically right now and won’t begin recruiting camp counselors until after the holidays.
God’s word is full of passages that tell us how much He loves and wants his church to care for the fatherless and champion justice for them. Psalm 68:5 says, “He is a father to the fatherless.” James 1:27 says, “Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress…” Royal Family KIDS Camp does this and Timberline Church is excited to be a part of making a difference that lasts for eternity one week at a time.
The ultimate vision is that in the years to come, every foster child in Northern Colorado will experience a Royal Family Kids camp…numerous times.