“All your life you’ve been on a treasure hunt.” ~ Randy Alcorn in The Treasure Principle
Jesus once told a story that compared the kingdom of heaven to a buried treasure that a man discovered and then joyfully sold all he had in order to get. (Matthew 13:44) Jesus also taught that storing treasures on earth is stupid (because we’ll lose them) and storing treasure in heaven is smart (because they will last). (Matthew 6:20)
From these passages, and other teachings that show how God sees our faith and finances as inseparable, author Randy Alcorn distilled what he calls The Treasure Principle — “You can’t take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.” Here are the six keys:
1) God owns everything. I am His money manager. — A steward manages assets for the owner’s benefit, will give an accounting to the owner, gets joy from seeing how the money is spent, and earns eternal rewards for faithful service.
2) My heart always goes where I put God’s money. — Each day brings me closer to losing my treasures … or gaining them.
3) Heaven, not Earth, is my home. — My real home is a place I’ve never been but that is made for me.
4) I should live not for the dot (life on Earth), but for the line (life in heaven). — Pilgrims travel light rather than become enslaved by their possessions.
5) Giving is the only antidote to materialism. — A logical place to start (like training wheels) is with the tithe, but know that God, the greatest giver in the universe, won’t let you out-give Him.
6) God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving. — “God distributes wealth unevenly not because he loves some of His children more than others, but so His children can distribute it to their brothers and sisters on His behalf.”
So, what does this power-packed little book have to do with missions at Timberline Church? Since the focus of Love Reaches is to express the message of Jesus in word and deed, there are plenty of opportunities to invest your time, treasure, and talent locally and globally with eternal rewards.
For example, Love Reaches is looking for construction managers, medical personnel, writers, photographers, video editors, website designers, graphic designers, baristas, grant writers, event planners, administrative support, Birthday card writers, accountants, lawyers, cooks, and whatever skill you are willing to use. One place to start is the Serving Opportunities page at www.LoveReaches.org. If you can’t find the right fit there, contact us at at email@example.com and we’ll find a place for you to serve.
If you’re looking to invest financially, did you know that you can now donate online toward the missions’ budget? How? Go to www.TimberlineChurch.org and click on “Give” in the upper right corner. On the new page, click “give now,” select Timberline Fort Collins, and continue to the form to enter your account information. Across the top, input the dollar amount you want to give and then select missions from the drop down box. That’s it!
Where’s your treasure being invested?