As I reflect on this last year, I am so aware of God’s presence with us as we have asked Him to lead us into His purposes in global partnerships and in ministry in Northern Colorado. Last year as we approached our annual missions celebration, we felt compelled to focus in prayer for 21 days and specifically ask God to lead us into the “empty space” in ministry outside of our church walls. He has answered in undeniable ways as we have walked in His favor leading and participating in ministry efforts and initiatives that have impacted the lives of hundreds of unserved or underserved families and individuals.
Just in the last year God has placed Timberline leaders in key leadership roles in a number of ways including…
Fire relief and recovery
Local trailer park outreaches
Sharing Hope event serving thousands in North Fort Collins
Cherry, Sisneros, and Herman families full-time to Guatemala
Major expansion of partnership with Pastor Aracelli’s orphanage in Guatemala City
Dubuisson, Haiti – Knuppel family leading community development project through a local church in Dubuisson and child sponsorship through One Child Matters.
Country-wide orphanage reform in Haiti following Timberline’s direct advocacy and call to prayer resulting in the closing of a corrupt and abusive orphanage.
Launching of Northern Colorado Safe Families for Children
Thousands of SERVE 6.8 volunteers mobilized into our local community demonstrating God’s love to others with “no strings attached.”
God has truly answered our prayers! As we head into this new year and our missions celebration the second weekend of March, I would like to invite you to join us again in a 40-day prayer focus. We truly need God’s guidance and provision as we consider all that He has placed in front of us.
Here are a few of the areas where we are seeking God for His leading in the new year….
- Next steps for Dubuisson, Haiti partnership
- Expansion of our work in Guatemala in a number of areas: Baby Home, potential expanded role in partnership with Children’s Hope Chest overseeing several orphanages there, support of full-time Timberline families as their ministries grow, new home-building initiative led by Timberline missionary Cary Goshinmon, expanding medical ministry opportunities.
- Potential leadership role at the Sister Mary Alice Murphy Center in Fort Collins serving homeless or near homeless families and individuals.
- Rapid expansion of SERVE 6.8 as a Christ centered volunteer movement in our community.
- Follow-up for families served through trailer park outreaches or Adopt A Family/The Bridge.
- Expanding outreach to Spanish-speaking families
- National leadership potential for Timberline orphan-care ministries as best-practice models.
- Sarah Miles going to Uganda full-time.
- God’s continued provision for the work He is leading us into through the faith promises of His people at Timberline.
Please consider joining us in prayer for 40 days before the second weekend in March. Many of us will be praying the first 40 days of 2013 while others are starting their 40 days a bit later. Many of us will also be fasting for 40 days. A fast is between an individual and God. I encourage you to be prayerful about something you could give up for 40 days as you focus in prayer. This could be any part of your regular diet or daily routine…. desserts, television, etc….. things that you are truly giving up and that you would miss. Fasting allows us to be prompted to pray in those times we are craving the things we are giving up. I also encourage you to add some personal things to your list of things you will focus on in prayer. Make your list in writing and do some journaling. You will find this to be a powerful time as you surrender to God the things that are heavy on your mind or heart coming into this year.
I would also recommend a couple of books to you, both written by Mark Batterson. First, is The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears. (Copies available in the Resource Center, Missions Office, Amazon, or other book stores.) If you have already read it, I recommend his new book called Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge. (Copies at the Resource Center, Missions Office, Amazon, Kindle, etc.)
Thank you for your faithfulness to God and His work in our community and around the world.
Pastor Mark Orphan